Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Rental vehicles

I have a question for you...why is it that a rental vehicle gets so much abuse? I mean we rent these vehicles with our own credit cards (most of the time). We use our own insurance in many cases. Many people have this attitude, IT AIN'T MINE. I find it interesting that we can use someone else's property and treat it anyway that we want. Granted I am not going to wash a rented vehicle. But did you know that if the car is dirty enough you can take it back to the rental agency and get it cleaned free of charge? They may not do the best job of cleaning it but at least they get most of the dirt off of it. That's if you are really concerned about driving a clean vehicle.
The other day I was returning a vehicle that had been rented for a month. It was not a vehicle that I had actualy rented but one that I had been driving around because the car that I rented was being driven by someone else. Any of you who really know me know that I do not like driving in a dirty car. Especially if it is someone else's ride. It's like taking a bath in a dirty bathroom...yuck! I think it's a little embarrassing. Even if it is not my car, I want to at least make sure that it is somewhat clean. Anyway, when I was returning this vehicle Hertz the other day I was removing the trash that I actually did cause. The Popeyes Fried Chicken bag (love that chicken from Popeyes). The papers from Kinkos that did not make the cut. And some toher trash that was not mine. White Castle wrappers; plates used for pizza I think; half empty bottles of water, not mine; and other stuff that had been there I am sure at least a month. I also was cleaning out the truck of omy luggage. There was a bag of new towels that someone else had left. Several cases of energy drinks. A bunch of towels that looked like they belonged to the hotel.
I wonder sometimes...not all of the time but just sometime what the attendants do with stuff that they find left behind in vehicles. Obviously, no one can take a case of energy drinks on the plane. But what about those new towels? The seafoam green towels that were left in the trunk, does anyone take that stuff home? Look honey, several cases of NOS Energy Drink for the kids. What about things that have more value like your laptop. Would you miss your flight to go back for your laptop? I would for sure...not even a question.
So you are returning this vehicle that does not belong to you and hopefully you did not abuse it. Hopefully all you did was drive it faster than your own vehicle. If you do have to "front" like the vehicle was yours make sure you at least keep the inside picked up of trash and things. Especially if you are going to be carrying others around with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment