Friday, July 3, 2009

The Drive in Theater

How many of you have ever been to a drive in movie theater? I would hazard a guess to say that the majority of those that are reading this have never been to a drive in movie. I am probably dating myself when I say that I have gone to one a time or two, huh? Well, I have and it was not really that long ago. I don't think it was...hmmm...the last drive in movie that I went to was in Eatontown, NJ. I recently saw a picture from an old newspaper advertising the opening of the drive in April 1950. Wow...I had no idea that place had been around that long. It was eventually closed because the owner sold it to make room for a new neighborhood. A neighborhood near the intersection of the two busy roads Highway 35 and Route 36. They intersect at this particular neighborhood that was tucked behind the old Eatontown Theater that was closed and torn down as well. The theater was replaced with a Blinds to Go store and a Sleepy's mattress store.


What was fascinating to me was that there was a movie theater right next to a drive in. The last movie that I saw at the drive in just happened to be Grease, I think. Honestly, I don't even have a clue. But I do remember what I was driving. My baby blue 1977 Pontiac Astre. I wonder who's bright idea it was to watch a movie in a car? From my research I have found that there are still a few of these gems of the golden era of entertainment still around. Not sure why they haven't succumbed to over-development but they are still hanging tough. I wonder if young people still go to the drive in theater.

Our cars have always been an integral part of the entertainment industry. Whether it's some really cool car chase in the latest Jerry Bruckheimer flick or sitting at a drive through with your kids or your girlfriend. Ask someon about their first car and they will invariably say things like, I LOVED THAT CAR! Or I COULD NOT STAND THAT HUNK OF JUNK! Whatever the response, our lov affair with the car has been so well illustrated in your favorite movie. Some of our favorite movies had the hero driving this really cool car. 1983 Delorean in Back to the Future. The new Hotness as Will Smith called his Mercedes Benz E Class in MIB 2. What about that futuristic Audi from I, Robot? OH, don't forget the Duke of Hazzard.

I think I will dedicate our next blog to cars in the movies. That should be fun. In any event, keep that ride cleaned, it will drive better. OK, maybe it won't, but it sure will look good.

No comments:

Post a Comment